Alone Like a Rolling Stone

New bath on Katinka


The old bathroom has to get out, the boss said one day. Ok, I said, just as simple is. At this moment you can not contradict, I have learned that in the last 20 years. The best I could do in this situation was to go to the next hardware store to be inspired. It took a little time to delay the inevitable. But she is right, the mirror had a crack across the entire length from the window to the wall. Likewise, the washbowl was defaced with a hideous adhesive seam. In short, the bathroom was getting old and was not nice to look at. Alone, it always takes me a while to overcome myself. This seems to be a common phenomenon among men, at least Gaby says. Anyway,we got new wall cladding, table top and washbasin as well as various accessories and I soon started upgrading the old furniture. As already feared the mirror passed away in small, even very small parts of the wall. Armed with goggles, hammer and chisel, I tackled the wall cladding, which reluctantly detached itself from the wooden wall. The one who installed the bath did not use the silicone adhesive sparingly. That's exactly what I had imagined, just "as simple is". The washbowl was also not cooperative and so, I resorted to violence and went on the plastic tub. Persistently, the pelvis refused to abandon its ancestral position. Finally, the smarter of us gave up and the tub dissolved, although in several parts, but at least, it worked. Phew! that was done, now scratch the remaining silicone down and then you can start with the installation of the new facility. For installation, I used professional help. Peter spontaneously agreed to help me with this project and so, with an admittedly queasy feeling, we headed for Italy.



Not because we did not dare to conjure up a reasonably decent bath from the chaos depicted above, but rather a violent storm had blown for days which had devastated much of Italy. Thus, not far from our marina, in Rapallo, some yachts were damaged by being washed ashore and, from an insurance standpoint, probably considered a total loss. But even if the traces of devastation were visible arounNot because we did not dare to conjure up a reasonably decent bath from the chaos depicted above, but rather a violent storm had blown for days which had devastated much of Italy. Thus, not far from our marina, in Rapallo, some yachts were damaged by being washed ashore and, from an insurance standpoint, probably considered a total loss. But even if the traces of devastation were visible around Loano, the boats in the Marina di Loano remained unscathed. So we went to the installation and first adjusted the table top. Marked the holes for drain and supply hot - cold water and sawed from these. Then I screwed the table top together from below with the base plate or what was left of it. A 2mm thick aluminum-plastic composite panel serves as a wall cladding. The composite panel is self-adhesive and can be cut and fitted
with the utility knife. We made a template for the window cut, but we had to cut a few times and I was actually waiting for me to finally cut off too much to be able to throw it all in the bin, but Peter also realized that we were here in a decisive phase of the project and held back with pithy slogans. In the end, we finally managed it and were able to glue in the cladding. The bump edges were covered with a 2cm angle rail. The mirror is vapor-deposited on a plastic plate or glued as a foil. Has the advantage that we were able to saw the good piece. Unfortunately, he has no self-adhesive film on the back so we glued him with silicone. I have screwed the washbowl over the drain with the table top downwards and thus basically fixed. Just went that way, two threads less and I would have had to think of something else. The non-existent overflow must be taped to the drain otherwise it will be unintentionally wet under the sink. Also, before you fix the sink, you have to mount the faucet, then you have no chance anymore, but of course that is individual, depending on what you have chosen to set up. A proper standard does not seem to exist here. There is also no standard for water connection. Of course, the supplied fittings of the fitting did not fit. However, we found two fittings in the hardware store. Unfortunately, we did not find anything suitable for the drain, but I am confident that we will also manage. At the front a cover strip is attached which I also need to procure. All in all, I am satisfied with our new bathroom with which I come back to my initial entence and once let "La jefa" decide. True to the motto: Do not contradict.




Comments