The bay of Hiva-Oa or, getting away with a black eye

Happy Birthday

We are not frozen yet, but almost. As already suspected, the nights become very restless after our return from Akamaru. In the first night we still find our sleep, but then it is over. A strong high pressure south of the Gambier Islands blocks the lows coming from the west. With 1040hPa to 965hPa there is real wind. Unfortunately it comes too far from the south, so it is cold. In addition, the reef is open to the south and thus there is an unpleasant swell in the anchor field. Gusts with 36 knots pull quite nicely at the anchor chain. 

We on Akamaru

Now we are already four years on the way and have experienced nevertheless some squall in the anchor field, yes also here on the Gambier islands it is not different than in the Mediterranean, but we lie here on Legerwall, which is always a bad feeling. Still largely protected by an inner reef, you can see the whitecaps on the wave in the lagoon. Unfortunately the high is stable and does not move from the spot. So we have this weather now already the whole week. Gaby's birthday is this week of all weeks. I would have liked to do something with her, but the only thing we did that day was anchor watch. That is what we have been doing all week. With the dinghy I put Gaby ashore so that she can at least receive her congratulations via internet. A rather wet affair with the swell. But what does one not do everything for his heart all dearest. With this sentence, I've secured a few more points for myself. Not that I need it, but it's always good to have some. In the afternoon Christer from the Hathor comes over and we all sing Happy Birthday together. Also the days after that, always make only a short stay on land possible. Which is always a very wet affair. On Sunday we actually want to celebrate the birthday of Valerie, Gaby and me in Taravai. If the weather stays like this, probably nothing will come of it. Unfortunately, the daily weather updates I download via Iridium report no significant change, but we are not giving up hope. Valerie would certainly be disappointed if we didn't come, after all Christer and we are the only sailors at the moment. Then last Monday another Spanish yacht arrived. They are preparing for Patagonia and have bunkered diesel from the supply ship that arrived on Tuesday evening. Presumably they will sail before the weekend. And then on Gaby's birthday, a three-masted brig arrived. The Picton Castle is from New Zealand. She is 37 meters long and 8 meters wide. The draught is no less than 4.3 meters. A real pirate ship. It won't get into Taravai with the draft and outside it will be quite uncomfortable with the wind. In any case, she is nice to look at, even if she seems to be getting on in years. 

When working

One good thing, of course, is that we can't do so much at the moment. My arm, which was dislocated six weeks ago, is getting the best care and it is slowly getting better. I'm doing my exercises every day, and little by little I'm getting strength back into my arm. Besides, we have time for the boat. Christer has seen my splice work and asks me if I can make him one too. Sure, why not. His main halyard was torn, similar to ours. We drive over to his place and have a coffee first. The Swedes have the best coffee in the world, he claims, and Christer is a guy you just have to believe what he says. In his defense, the coffee really doesn't taste bad. Afterwards, I splice an eye into his big case. Now it just has to be pulled through the mast. Since he doesn't have a care line in the mast, I guess someone has to get into the mast. Unfortunately, Christer is not free from giddiness. There is always something. But my arm is not ready yet, so Christer has to wait a bit. The halyard will certainly not thread itself alone. In the meantime, I continue to train my arm. We'll tell you next week if we made it to Taravai this weekend and if we were able to celebrate our birthdays there. Until then we wish you, as always, fair winds and keep a stiff upper lip.