Crusader

Even the man is himself

An eventful week comes to an end. In addition to the engine repair, there are also the Olympic Games with the surfing competitions in Tahiti. The tickets for the event have long been sold out and were only available to a few people anyway due to a lack of space. Officials offered the tickets for sale to the sponsors, so there wasn't much left for the people of Tahiti. Public viewing areas were set up for the general public, which includes us. In these zones there is a party area and a fun area for the children. In addition, various organizations present themselves and recruit members.

Publing Viewing in Papeete, Tahiti

Once we have settled back into the Papeete marina and paid for the berth, we can get on with the engine repair. The plan is to call the Yanmar service in Papeete to change the cylinder head gasket. So I make an appointment with the service in question. Basically, it's not a problem, but. Whenever the word "but" comes up, I know that I'll have to do it myself in the end. So we stopped at the "but". But it's summer vacation at the moment, or winter vacation here in Tahiti in the Southern Hemisphere. Staff are scarce anyway and even scarcer now. Florian, who runs the whole service area, says he'll see what he can do and lets me know. The second thing I've learned in five years is that the phrase "let me know" never works. Without exception. Either you prepare yourself for a long wait in which you keep asking about the status until it finally gets too much for the other person and they send someone, or you do it yourself. On the way back to Katinka, I decide to change the head gasket myself. 

Cylinder head

The small problem is that I have never changed a head gasket like this before. Using my parts catalog, I study the components that have to be removed in order to get to the cylinder head gasket at all. I realize with horror that almost the entire engine has to be removed. Well, no amount of moaning is going to help, so I set to work in good spirits. I disconnect the fresh water pipes and remove the intake pipes for the turbocharger so that I can then unscrew the intake manifold. Next, the air cooler has to go and then the fresh water cooler. The fresh water pump is also bolted to the cylinder head. I can remove the exhaust and the alternator and put them to one side. In order to be able to remove the intake manifold, the diesel lines have to be disconnected from the injection system and, at least for cylinders 1 and 2, unscrewed from the pump. Now the intake manifold can also be removed. The cylinder head is now exposed and can be removed.

Air cooler

So far so good. I've earned a break. We go to the public viewing and want to watch the surfing competitions on the big screen. The sun is shining and there's a lot going on in the park. Even if the weather is perfect for us non-surfers, it's not for the surfers. You can't surf without a wave, at least if the wave is the only means of propulsion. So the competitions are postponed to the next day. What a shame! Nevertheless, we take a look at everything, even find an ice cream van and treat ourselves to an ice cream.

2024 Olympic Games Fun Zone Papeete, Tahiti

Back on the boat, I start dismantling the cylinder head. The cylinder head has 18 bolts and unfortunately four of them are under the tappet bridge. So that has to come off too. I am thrilled. The boat is now a construction site. Engine parts are flying around everywhere. The problem is not the parts themselves. The problem is that they are sooty, oily, simply black. If you're not careful, you'll mess everything up. The black dirt collects under your fingernails and they are almost impossible to clean. The only thing that probably helps is to cut them off. 

Pretty dirty work

After everything has been dismantled, I take the parts catalog and look for all the seals and O-rings that I want to replace during reassembly. I'm back at the Yanmar service the next day with my spare parts list. Florian is amazed when he sees that I have the cylinder head gasket in my hand. He promises to get the parts to me as quickly as possible and provides me with a quote on the same day. The spare parts cost around €800, a hefty price for a couple of gaskets. Florian recommends that I completely clean the water cooling circuit once I have removed it. I will probably need a few more seals. So I already know what I have to do next week. In the past, I used to work to earn money. Now I work to fulfill our dream. There are days when I think about what is better now, but then I tell myself that the job is unbeatable and the challenges are unique. I don't think I would have taken an engine apart in my previous life, and it's always exciting to get it running again. 

Fresh water cooler

Now we go for a beer with Tim, who helped us moor in the marina and pulled us into the marina with the dinghy. Monday is always "Black Monday" at the brewery in Papeete, with half-price beer and tarte flambée. With the price of spare parts, we have to take advantage of such offers. Until next week, fair winds and keep a stiff upper lip.

Comments